History OF The
This site was first developed in the early eighteenth century when Queen Anne authorised the building of houses for Dockyard personnel on Portsmouth Common to ease the pressure within the walled city of Portsmouth caused by the increase in population at the dockyard.
No’s 49 to 52 Bishop Street, a terrace of two storey houses were built between 1706 and 1717. No.52 was acquired by John Jones, a blacksmith, in 1787.
John Jones went into partnership with William Treadgold and was trading under the name of Treadgold & Company in 1809.
In 1832, No. 51 was purchased and rebuilt as a three storey house for the family of William Treadgold. The original shop was extended to the north in 1849-50, and in 1863 No. 51 was converted into the company offices.
The street shop front is unaltered since 1870.
Treadgold's ceased trading in 1988 and was sold to Hampshire County Council.
It was run as a museum from 1995 to 2003 when it was closed due to safety and maintenance.
Ownership of the building was transferred to the John Pounds Community Trust, with the intention to develop Treadgolds as an extension of the John Pounds Centre which caters to the health and wellbeing of the Portsea community.